How TV and technology affect the growth and development of my child?
Technology has its place in every person’s life be it a 30-year-old or a 3-year-old. Kids these days know how to operate a smartphone and change channels on the TV even before they could ride a bike. They choose to spend time playing on the iPad than going to the park and play with a bat and a ball. It has its benefits if used within limits.
1. Physical Effects: Technology can physically affect a child’s growth. Your kid sticks to the different technologies as soon as they get home and spare no time for physical exercise or play. Children who spend time on technologies for more than 4 hours a day are noticed to be more obese as they lack any physical movement. They do not understand the benefits of spending time outdoors playing with their friends, as it not only improves blood pressure but also helps to gain sufficient Vitamin D and fights infections and keeps the skin healthy.
Additionally, physical ill effects do not just end here. It is studied that technology affects the eyes causing irritation and strain the eyes. It also leads to severe headaches, everything resulting in a disturbed sleep.
2. Mental Effects: It is believed that technology stimulates the mind. It impacts the way the child think and feel. As it is full of stimuli and requires the kid to pay attention to different things at a time, it may make it difficult for your kid to focus for longer durations when compared to the kids having minimal technological use.
It is also believed that children of today do not use their brain as in the older days before the Introduction of TVs and smartphones. It also does not allow them to expand their mind and think out of the box. Moreover, kids who watch violent and scary shows on the TV, grow fear and believe that the world is a bad place and something such will happen to them.
They start to nightmares and have a drastic reduction in sleep due to the focus directed on disturbing scenes. With an increase in technology, kids will find stress at home and school.
3. Affects socializing and Interaction: With the effects on mental and emotional states, technology affects the way your kid socializes or interacts with other people. They make your child less social and with more social media in use, children begin to lose self-esteem and become bad interactors in person.
It reduces their frequency of interacting and leads them to have no meaningful relationships. Also, the lack of interactions with others makes it difficult for a kid to develop their real emotions in a little age. Sometimes, your kid may not even pay attention to what you are talking as they are so indulged in watching a cartoon or playing their favourite game.
4. Growth as a student: Some schools use technology at school to help children learn although some do not believe the same. The games and videos shown may not serve the required purpose and kids may take it as some sort of fun.
Parents these days depend on technology to teach their kids rather than teaching them through their own experiences. This also hinders the child’s capacity to learn in an outdoor setting.
5. Behavioural effects: The commercials, video games and other daily soap series, do depict different kinds of risky behaviours such as smoking, sexual interaction, alcohol consumption, Inappropriate behaviours or usage of words as cool and fun.
When kids watch so, it gives them an idea that all of this is acceptable and indulge in them earlier than their peers. Kids may develop aggression when they watch aggressive behaviours on TV as acceptable reactions.
However, all of these could be the possible negative outcomes but do not imply that kids should all together stay away from technology. Knowing the use of technology is needed in today’s growing world. When parents monitor and guide the kids properly, it will provide tons of opportunities for learning, socializing, and entertainment for children of every age.
Set up daily limits and restricted shows and games, could be a great way to let them use all of the technologies and not get into the unnecessary use of it. Set rules and encourage them to spend time playing out or simply go on a walk with you on the weekends. Happy Parenting.
1. Technology has made its place in every person’s life even with the pre-schoolers.
2. Although, spending hours in front of the TV leads to obesity; eye strain and other physical issues.
3. It affects the kid’s behaviours and mental health.
4. Kids are so involved in social media and smartphones, it affects their socializing and interaction in person.
5. Excessive technology usage affects their kid’s growth as a student.