What are the 10 important tips for the grandparents to handle a 2yr old?
Until you grandchild has turned 2, they’ve already had made a bond with you. Handling them should be easier but with all the imaginations, new ideas and fun going on in their head, it might get difficult at times.
Being more than patient Children can get the best knowledge ever from their grandparents. You would also want them to learn new things with you and nurture their growth. So here are tips about handling your 2-year-old grandchild.
1. Enact Stories: All this while you read stories to them and they heard a little and read a little through your expressions. But now they are more imaginative. Enact the stories. They will do the same after you. For instance, Tap your index finger against your forehead to show “Thinking” and then click your fingers to imply “idea”.
2. Stay Affectionate: You always are affectionate as grandparents, but you need to express your feeling for the baby. Make them feel nice about themselves. Although there would be times where they might be rude to you, but know that children at this age are more egocentric and think about themselves. So do not take this behaviour personally. It will pass by with time.
3. Child Proof the house:
Now this is an important task when it comes to handling a 2-year-old. If they keep hurting themselves at the sharp corners of the table or eat the sand in the pots on a side table or anything like that, it would not be safe. You need to check everything around your house, stick up foam tape on the sharp corners and keep dangerous things at the top shelves.
4. Sing action songs: Now 2-year-olds are tough to stay interested in a single activity for too long. So another way to keep them engaged is to sing action songs with them. This will boost up their energy levels and excitement. It will make them utilize their visual and auditory skills. It will not only add to the fun but also help develop her fine motor skills.
5. Draw: Now trust me, the best way to keep them involved for more than an hour is to let them draw. They will not draw anything proper but giving them paper and pencil would be fun. Draw something for them to copy, it will give them an exact idea.
6. Nature walk:
Take them to a near-by green place for them to witness the beauty of nature. Or just take them to your terrace or balcony and show them the flower pots, the birds flying around and show them the colour of the sky. Keep an eye on them for they will be constantly touching things around. And for added fun and knowledge, mimic the sounds of animals or birds around.
7. Imparting Toilet Training: When their parents aren’t around, grandparents are to continue with the toilet training. Its a part of handling them and they could be used to that particular practice and might feel uncomfortable.
8. Upgraded Activities: Ask them to do certain tasks. Do not give them tiny things which they can easily put in their mouth and swallow. Instead, ask them to complete tasks like, mixing two ingredients, arrange the spoons, putting the toys in place and such others. Do not forget to applaud them and compliment them after they are done. This will raise their confidence.
9. Sometimes feeding gets tuff: Kids of 2 years age can be manipulated if you offer them things, in particular, the food they love. This is just a once a time situation when they might be very naughty and uncontrollable. It is very much normal among children of this age.
10. Do a lot of talking: Talk to them a lot. Talk about things in general. Ask them if they liked the food? Where is a mommy? What do dogs sound like? etc. This will improve their interaction skills and also their talking. They will learn words and you would love their cute voice.
Moreover, it could be tough. They will drive you crazy and tired. But as they grow, they will always cherish moments they have spent with you. Young children always love their grandparents in a very special way. So have fun and yes, do not forget to click photographs of their naughtiness.